Company: Outside the Lines Press
Location: Antigonish, Nova Scotia
Job title: Administrative Assistant – Publishing Project Coordinator
Duties and responsibilities: Outside the Lines Press is seeking a language-skilled administrative assistant to coordinate a publishing project on the history and future of Dutch and German language speakers in Nova Scotia. The candidate will be expected to locate speakers of these languages who emigrated to Canada between 1935 and 1965 in order to interview them in their native language about their immigration experiences, and life before/after their arrival in Canada. These video/audio interviews will need to be transcribed and translated into English. Together with Outside the Lines editors, the candidate will collate these stories and assist in the creation of a book featuring these speakers/stories, and help to create a website wherein these recordings will be archived. The candidate will need to be fluent in Dutch and German, and able to understand the Limburg and Brabant dialects given that most migrants from these areas of The Netherlands are native speakers of Limburgs/Brabants. The candidate will be expected to establish contact with potential interviewees, travel to their locations, and conduct/record interviews in addition to administrative duties involving the book publishing process. The candidate will assist in promotional (PR/marketing) activities involving European markets in relevant European languages (e.g., Dutch, German).
Terms of employment: This is a full time (30+ hours per week) limited term position. The project is intended to begin in the summer of 2021 (depending on the candidate’s availability), with a duration of at least 18 but no more than 24 months. The candidate is expected to work for an average of 30 hours per week, with flexible hours as required.
Required language skills: Fluent English is required, as well as native or near-native fluency in Dutch and German. Ability to understand Limburg and Brabant dialects is strongly desired. French or other European language skills an asset as well.
Hourly Wage between $21 and $23 per hour, commensurate with experience/abilities. NOC 1241 (Administrative Assistant) – median wage for Nova Scotia is $21.
Location of work: The company is located in Antigonish, Nova Scotia, and the candidate should be available for regular in-person meetings in Antigonish. The position requires travel to locations throughout Nova Scotia for in-person interviews with Dutch/German speakers. Working from home possible for some of the time.
Interested candidates can email their CV and letter of interest to: email@example.com
Skill and qualification requirements:
- Post-Secondary education in office administration or publishing
- 5+ years experience working in administrative assistant, research assistant, or office administration roles
- Experience in marketing/PR is preferred
- Experience in publishing preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, Dutch, and German (as outlined above)
- Experience using Adobe InDesign or equivalent layout/publishing software for book/publication creation as well as Adobe Photoshop or equivalent
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Content management systems/web design experience (e.g., WordPress, Joomla)
- Video editing experience (e.g., Adobe Premier, iMovie)
- Audio editing experience (e.g., Adobe Audition, Audacity)
- Basic videography, photography, audio recording experience
- Experience in translating English/Dutch/German
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and experience working with the public/clients
- Excellent organisational skills and able to work independently
- Must have access to reliable transportation and valid driver’s license for Nova Scotia